Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Halloween is creeping in...

I LOVE this time of year! Anticipating Halloween night makes the weather turning colder a little more bearable. What else could possible bring a person more joy than an excuse to scare the pants off some poor unsuspecting children? One Halloween a few years ago I had a table set up in the foyer. It was one of those pull-apart tables where you could add a section if you wanted. We pulled it apart just enough so that a hand could fit through, then we draped it in an old black sheet (with a hole just big enough for a hand....teeheehee, I'm getting giddy just thinking about it). Then, we set a big plastic candy bowl on top with, you guessed it, a hole in it just big enough for a hand. Then, I hid underneath the table so that when the kids came in to help themselves from our fantastic candy bowl, filled to the brim with all the best candy, I popped my hand out to grab them. It got the best screams in the neighborhood! My goal was to get better and better each year until our house was known around town and kids would come from miles around to see what we'd do next. And no spook house would be complete without spooky sound effects bellowing from our lower level window, some smoke and a strobe light. There are just way too many fun things you can do.

The next year I had another fantastic idea. Why not buy a big old pumpkin, hollow it out and set it on my head. I'd dress up in Andreas' clothes so they would be big and baggy enough to stuff newspapers in. Then I would sit outside on a lawn chair and pretend to be a fake pumpkin person. It was fun listening to people's comments as they approached our door. "Wow, that pumpkin man sure looks real". Little did they know....muahhahahahaha! Once they got their candy and were leaving I would jump up and scare them, or just casually get up and follow them. It was a blast!

Sadly, Halloween isn't celebrated here. Not like it is in America anyway. I was telling my brother, Jeff, that maybe I should inspire the town to get into it by jazzing up our house with oozing blood and saw-like buzzing accompanied by screams. But he thought maybe I'd wake up to burning crosses on my lawn and I've decided to just go door to door demanding candy instead.

I see ads in the papers now and then for costumes and a few decorations like pumpkin candle holders or little witch figurines but that's about the extent of it. Then, last week, Andreas found a gold mine, FAKE SPIDER WEBS! Could this be true? Do they actually sell this here? Yep, indeed. I was super excited. But still, I'm not going to have any trick-or-treaters ringing my doorbell this year. It just gives me more time to plan the mother of all Halloween tricks for future fright nights in the US. Arff neighbors, BEWARE!

You have to check out this website for the SCARIEST Halloween food for a great party

http://www.britta.com/Hw/hwr.html#bodyparts

No comments: