Thursday, August 26, 2010

2nd day of school is over. Our new routine is going well. And soon Emma starts preschool and 2 of the 3 girls are in dance. We are going from a do whatever-whenever attitude to tightly run ship around here! And it's going surprisingly well!

Eden has bedtime by 8:30 and she is sleeping in her OWN BED. This is nothing short of amazing since she slept in Hanna's bed all year last year. She is also walking to and from school alone. Since her incident in Denmark, she has been so afraid of being alone so these two things are major for her.

Hanna is showering every night before bed to try and help her fall asleep faster. It wasn't uncommon for her to go to bed at 9:00 and still be awake at 10:30 or later. Her doctor suggested we try a big glass of milk and the hot shower to help her relax. I told her we'd give that a try for a few weeks before we had to resort to any sleeping meds. She is also amazing us all by getting on the treadmill for 20 minutes in the morning before school. Last night she even asked if she could do it in the evening in addition to her morning session. This is shocking coming from a girl who thinks walking from the couch to the bathroom is too much work.

Emma is also going to bed by 8:30. She has never really had a bedtime. In the past she has just gone to bed with me, falling asleep in our bed and if we didn't feel like moving her, she'd stay there all night. Well, it's a new routine for her as well. I have been putting her to bed in HER bed and then I lay there and we count sheep (for real) for a little while and soon she is fast asleep.

We are eating healthfully (all of us), the girls don't get sugary snacks or cereals or any crap during the week and then we splurge on our cravings a little on the weekends. Hanna is on a "diet" since the doctor was a little concerned that she is already at her adult weight for her height. But she is handling it BEAUTIFULLY. I am really so very proud of her. I think she will have a complete transformation of self-esteem by Christmas at the rate she is going.

I have to admit that I had my doubts. I didn't think ANY of this would work. I thought it was all too much for us to take on at once but here we are, taking it one day at a time and really succeeding together as a family. I hope it lasts!

Andreas is a workin' man. We try to enjoy a cup of coffee together after dinner and have a conversation about our day but with 3 kids and a dog to contend with, our words get lost in the jumble. We hope to spend some quality time together when we are in our 50's.

I am trying to be the glue that holds it all together. I sometimes feel like I'm being stretched a little thin. By the time the kids are all tucked in, I'm usually falling on my bed, ready for a 9 hour coma.

And now I need to run to the bank and the gas station quick before I cook dinner. Always on the move!

No comments: