Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Cameras and their operators



I saw this on Facebook this morning and had to share it.
 
It's so true. I think a lot of photographers get annoyed when people say things like, "Your camera takes such good pictures". While it is true that expensive cameras and lenses have their place, it's the one who's operating that expensive equipment that makes a picture good or bad. Yes, expensive cameras can take bad pictures.
 
In fact, you don't even need expensive top of the line cameras and lenses to take incredible photos. Some of my most favorite captures (still) are those I had taken on a fairly inexpensive point and shoot Canon.
 
Composition matters. If you don't have an artful eye, it doesn't matter how many thousands of dollars you spend on photographic equipment, you won't take great pictures.
 
"The single most important component
of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." - Ansel Adams
 
"Buying new gear will NOT improve your photography. For decades I thought "if I only had that new lens" that all my photo wants would be satisfied. Nope. I still want that "one more lens," and I've been shooting for over 30 years. There is always one more lens. Get over it." - Ken Rockwell
 
In fact, here's the link to page on Ken's site on which I found this quote. He's awesome.
 
Please remember this, when complimenting a photo, make sure it's directed at the one who truly deserves it - the person behind the camera ;)

No comments: