Thursday, August 7, 2008

So, we are in Denmark. Actually living here. Yep. And our apartment is....well....lets just say I'm not a big fan. Big wouldn't fit anywhere in the description. First of all, to get into our apartment you need to climb 8 flights of stairs (great for those buns and thighs, or at least that's what I've been telling myself), not to mention carrying up Emma and/or groceries. Ok, there's no air conditioning either. Yep, we're off to a good start. Tried to do the laundry. A load (which is about 1/3 of the size of an American load) takes an hour and a half to wash (no lie). The washers only have one hose, a cold water hose, so the water needs to heat up to the desired temp once it's inside the drum. Fun! That's not the best part. The washer was ALL MOLDY! Our dishwasher sits on top of the counter and fits about 4 plates a couple cups and some silverware. Easier just to wash them by hand. I'll give you a picture of our kitchen (which holds our washer, dryer, and table) that Andreas can spread out his arms in and touch both walls. Did I say fun?? We have no back yard which is really hard to get used to after owning a home with a yard. Venturing out to the store is interesting. I've only done it once without Andreas because I'm always afraid I'm going to buy more than I have cash for. We pretty much have to walk to the store every day for food since our fridge doesn't hold much. Ok, enough whinning, it's only temporary, right? I guess our furniture is to arrive on the 17th already!! That was the best news I've heard cuz that means it's time to find a house. And I'm so excited to get out of the city. Because it's a little crowded in a city with 1.5 million people. A fourth of Denmark's population is right here, baby! And yes, I actually miss Fargo. I miss my family, my house, my yard, my washing machine, my ice dispenser, my DEBIT CARD!!! I want to rent a movie but I can't do that until I get a CPR number, which is like a SSN. That's right, I can't rent a movie, or check out a library book for that matter, without one. Sigh....I miss America. I guess I am getting used to walking everywhere (usually with one child on my back) and taking the Metro. I hear it can take a couple months for culture shock to set in. Great! Can't wait for that!

No comments: