Thursday, September 1, 2011

Dogs will be dogs.....stupid that is

Is it time for another Lizzy story? I think it is.

So yesterday evening was a little busy. Andreas had a dinner date with a friend and it just happened to be on a "back to school" night or "meet the teachers" night or whatever they are calling it these days. And so I got the joy of attending on my own. It started at 5:30 with a volleyball meeting in the gym. Followed by a code of conduct meeting at 6:00 in the auditorium. Followed by time blocks up until 8:15 pm, meeting all the teachers. I was starting to wonder when these people expected us to feed our children and ourselves dinner.

Since it was just Hanna and I (Eden and Emma were at G-ma's) we snuck home after the mandatory meetings for a quick bite to eat before heading back to the school to meet her core teachers. Sorry gym and music teachers, dinner was more important than meeting you.

Anyway, I had just made myself a wonderfully tasty egg sandwich with the very last English muffin and the last 2 slices of turkey bacon. I was starving so sinking my teeth into one of my very favorite foods was heavenly. All of a sudden we heard this strange noise and Lizzy took off barking like the crazed maniac dog she is toward the front door. We heard the noise again and Hanna looked at me and said, "was that a cat?" I was just as puzzled and said, "It sounds like a hurt dog." It really was hard to decide what the noise was. It sounded like a child, then it sounded like a child in pain, then it sounded like an animal in pain. Curiosity got the best of us so we both went to the front door to look outside.

That's when we discovered that the noise was actually coming from upstairs. At that point, Hanna was freaking out BIG time. Because no one else was home. "WHAT was THAT?????!!!!!!" It took a second for me to realize what it was because the noises were intermittent. But I finally said, "It's gotta be that dancing dog thinger in Emma's room. Sometimes it does that" although to be honest, I wasn't sure what the heck it was.

And that's about when we realized that while we were standing at the bottom of the stairs trying to figure out what Lizzy was barking at, Lizzy was nowhere near us anymore. She had moved on to more exciting things.....my dinner. Hanna said, "Lizzy is in the kitchen....I think she has your food."

"the WHOLE thing???" I said

"yep"

And indeed she did. I sprinted into the kitchen to find Lizzy hungrily scarfing down my egg sandwich. I can't believe how fast she gobbled that thing down. I can't even describe how pissed I was. Number one, it's not like I could have made another one because I was out of half the ingredients to make it. Number two, I was in a bit of a hurry. And number three, the one bite I got was really really good and I really really wanted to eat the rest of it. I put Lizzy in her room and ate two pieces of bread with a thick layer of nutella on top, cursing Lizzy the whole time for forcing me to make such an unhealthy choice for dinner.

Andreas wants me to believe that she orchestrated the whole thing. That she waited for her chance to get me out of the kitchen quickly so she could go back in and steal my food. I will never believe that a dog who will bark nonstop for 20  minutes at a plastic bag blowing around the yard, would be smart enough to pull that off.

Never.

Incidentally, the next day it dawned on my what the noise was. Emma has a Littlest Pet Shop alarm clock. And this morning I wondered why the alarm didn't go off at 7am like it's supposed to. After fiddling with it I realized that it was because Andreas had accidentally set it for 7pm, and I put two and two together. That was around the same time as the dinner fiasco the night before. So I reset the alarm and listened to it to see if it was the sound we heard. Yep, it was cat's meowing, dogs barking and birds chirping. Emma has been waking up before her alarm so we'd never actually gotten to hear it yet. Which was why the sounds seemed so odd.

Tonight, I went to the store to pick up some more turkey bacon and English muffins (among other things) because I've been jonesing for another egg sandwich. Of course when I got back home and unloaded the groceries I discovered that I had forgotten the English muffins. What does the universe have against me eating delicious egg and turkey bacon muffins??!! On the plus side, I got all the ingredients to make cake pops for Eden to take to school on Friday.

1 comment:

Shawn said...

Hehe, doggy got your eggy muffin. Smart dog!