Thursday, February 12, 2009

Ah....love is in the air



Today, my three girls and I went shopping for some Valentine's gifts for the great Bigster. Hanna still had allowance money leftover from the previous weekend, Eden had none. Hanna bought something with half of her money and Eden had a meltdown because I wouldn't buy anything for her. I tried to explain to her that she used up all of her money last weekend on a doll and Hanna only used a little bit of her money so she still had a lot left. Of course this logic was of no comfort to her and she continued to cry about how unfair it was. I tried, a second time, to make her understand that Hanna was not getting any MORE money, she was just using what she had LEFT. But still, it was no use. Finally Hanna says, "She can just have the rest of my money, mom".

I-I-I.....I was STUNNED to say the least! I wonder sometimes if I'm doing the best I can to raise my daughters right so that they will grow to be kind, loving and generous adults. I rarely get to see these acts of kindness blossoming (especially between each other). It was another moment (the second in two days!) that made me proud of the work I've done as a mother.

Later I asked Hanna why she had given half of her left over money to her little sister when I knew she wanted to save up for other stuff and she answered, "cuz she was so sad". My heart just melted. Coming from someone who thinks she will mutate if she drinks from the same cup as her little sister...it was a very sweet gesture.

1 comment:

Vivien Leung said...

That is a very sweet story :)
Thankyou so much for your comment! I am truly flattered!