Tuesday, October 4, 2011

yummy and healthy

Cinnamon Swirl Protein Bread
I've been trying some new recipes lately. I really like to eat protein bars and since I'm devoted to eating as clean as possible, which means no processed foods, that technically means that I need to find a protein bar with only the best natural ingredients. The safest way to do that is to bake them myself.

I've tried a few recipes that I've found on bodybuilding.com and they are a big hit. My husband would like them if he didn't know there was whey protein powder in them. But he's got some sort of mental block when it comes to whey powder. He says he doesn't need any more protein than he already eats. Whatever. Anyway, these bars turn out more like cake and they are incredibly delicious. I made a 9 x 13 pan of pumpkin bars. Gone. My kids loved them, I loved them and I gave one to my mom and sister to try - they both want the recipe. Today I made carrot cake protein bars and I think I might love those even more than the pumpkin recipe. I also made cinnamon swirl bread (also with whey) and oh yum!

The one recipe that didn't turn out, in my opinion, were the mini banana loaves. Supposedly these were to be a good substitute for banana bread lovers. Well, as I was following the recipe, it just didn't seem like it was going to turn out. There was no flour at all, and hardly any ingredients. Surprisingly, the texture turned out really good. Spongy like a cake. But the taste was awful! It tasted like a banana peep. I don't like peeps. And that artificial banana flavor from the banana extract was blech! So tomorrow I am going to come up with a good banana bread recipe. I'm getting pretty skilled in that department so I'm pretty sure I'll be able to pull it off.

Banana Protein Bread mini loaves (fail)

I don't feel like I'm being deprived when I can still eat flavorful bars that taste like cake, but are actually very healthy and good for my body. Not one bad ingredient. If you want a taste, click on this link and try them for yourself!

No comments: