Saturday, October 15, 2011

gourmet dinner at home

the table

I wanted to do something special for my husband last night since he's been working so hard and has been a little stressed lately. So I decided to cook him a meal that could rival a night out at a fancy restaurant. I kept his favorites in mind and set to work.

salad with lemon basil vinaigrette and parmesan crisp

I'm very proud of my parmesan crisp. Even though they are super easy to make, I didn't know it because I'd never made them before. But they look very delicate and elegant. Not to mention delicious.

french onion soup is another favorite

Although this soup is delicious, it's hard to hit on a good recipe. But I think I hit on a winner. I took two different recipes and sort of combined them in my own way (I do this a lot) and my husband was impressed. He told me so far my meal would rival what would be put in front of us at WF Maxwells. YES!!!

entree

I tried my hand at a mushroom risotto. To die for! Then I went safe with the steak and grilled flank steak. Not only is it mouthwatering, it's quick and easy on the grill. Almost impossible to screw it up...unless you overcook it ;) And my carrots julienne were the perfect blend of tender but not mushy. Another successful course!

a closer look

I also made mushrooms in red wine sauce and on top of the risotto are parsnip crisps. Delicious baked shreds of sweet and salty goodness. And it adds a little dimension to my plate.

dessert

Last but not least, dessert. I chose Pots de Creme. I used Cognac and strong coffee. I didn't have any but it looked fantastic! And other than not getting a chance to get all the way set, it was a hit.

Overall, the dinner was a complete success. I accomplished what I set out to do and it made me feel great. Because even on most nights when my family thinks I can't cook because I make "healthy" food that doesn't exactly excite them, this proves that I still got it!!

No comments: