Friday, June 24, 2011

Scandinavian Hjemkomst Festival

We are going to the ‎34th Annual Scandinavian Hjemkomst Festival this weekend. We're kicking it off tonight at 9:00 on the patio at Monte's, to listen to Knut Hamre and Rannveig Djonne, a Norwegian Hardanger Fiddler and a Norwegian Diatonic Button Accordion Player.

We were out dining at one of our usual spots (and by usual I mean we might get there once every 4 months) and reading the High Plains Reader (an alternative newspaper serving our area) and discovered that this weekend was the festival. We love going but are terrible at keeping track of when it is so lucky for us we read about it by chance. That's sort of how it goes with all the activities we like to do.

Anyway, when I read that there was going to be some Norwegian inspired music at Monte's, I suggested right away that we try to go. I am sort of sentimental when it comes to Monte's because that's where Andreas proposed to me. What a great night that was.


Monte's Downtown Fargo
"A traditional upscale restaurant infused with casual urban sophistication. An eclectic continental menu incorporating local products and produce in exciting new concepts." - opentable

And so the music is to be out on the patio, which is very exciting to me because I love the outdoor atmosphere of these little downtown restaurants and bars. It doesn't start until 9pm, which is kind of late for us old folk, but we are still all for it. It sounds very romantic, just me and my love at the place our journey together got started, listening to some culture.

Then tomorrow, we will go to the Hjemkomst Center for the festival where there will be traditional Norsk displays, talks, music, theater, dancing, food, children’s activities, exhibitors and shopping. It's just too bad that I'm on a "clean eating" diet for the next 6 weeks. Oh well, don't they say something like 70% of what you taste is through smell? So I'll just sniff the air and eat some.....water?

Also on the lineup for this weekend are mezzo soprano Krista Costin singing at the Spirit Room, Swedish band 0914 outside the Great Northern Bicycle Co., and violinist Karin Andreasen playing at the Green Market (this restaurant will also be serving a special Scandinavian menu). But I'm pretty sure we'll just be watching the fiddler and accordion player.

Have a great weekend everyone!


1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I never remember when it is, either! Thanks for the reminder. Have fun!