Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Hello from Manhattan

I am laying on my hotel bed, typing to you from New York. I know you know this already, but I am still in awe at being here. This city is so exciting, I really don't want to go back home! Things in Fargo, ND are going to seem reeeeeeeally slow and dull after being here.

And I can honestly say that I am very surprised at how not scary it is to be here. I had these visions in my head about how paralyzed with fear I would be in such a busy crowded place but I have not been scared at all. And the people are very friendly, which probably surprised me the most. Our World Trade Center tour guide said that 10-15 years ago, New Yorkers weren't as nice. I am happy they are now!

There is something amazing to see around every corner and being on the streets with giant buildings towering above you is thrilling. You feel so small and unimportant. I also love to see all the people wandering around in their business suits with their phones to their ears, it makes me wish I had a big important job I needed to rush off to. Ok ok, it doesn't. But kinda.

So far we have been on the go go go. It's been super hot and humid. One of the first days we were here it was 100 degrees, and we were wandering out and about in it all day. I think I was very close to heat exhaustion because I all of a sudden got dizzy and felt faint. We had to get off the tour bus and take the subway back to the hotel to rehydrate. It was ok though because it was one of those hop on hop off tour buses anyway. And yesterday it rained in the afternoon and cooled off enough that I could wear jeans to wander the streets in the evening. It was nice to walk around without looking like a sweaty pig.

We've taken a short day cruise around the harbor, a long elegant dinner cruise in the evening (I highly recommend doing this), saw the statue of liberty, world trade center site, took a double decker bus tour where we drove past numerous landmarks and attractions. We've wandered around Times Square and learned how to get around via subway and bus. Today, I plan to venture to central park, Aquavit, St. Patrick's cathedral. Tonight, Sue and I will go to Rockefeller Center and do Top of the Rock - because I hear it's better than going to the top of the Empire State building.

I am having the time of my life here in New York City. I knew I would have a good time, but I am loving it even more than I expected. It's really awe inspiring. All the lights, all the people.....it's like nothing I've ever experienced. I've been to Europe and have walked through some big cities, but this city has truly captivated me.

It will be sad to leave tomorrow. But it's always nice to get home too. I miss my girls and my hubs. I even miss Lizzy. I video chatted with them last night and Lizzy was looking behind the wall trying to find me. 

See you soon, ND!

No comments: