Friday, July 22, 2011

so long, farewell, auf wiedersehen, goodbye

Today is my last day

I started typing, then got up to get a glass of water, and came back to "Today is my last day..." and it kind of gave me the creeps. First of all, it's not like me to just get up and do something mid sentence like that. I'm sort of OCD when it comes to that kind of thing. Maybe that is why I can't sew anything elaborate like a quilt or anything I can't get done in one sitting. And second, because it made me think....what if today was my last day? As in, last day on earth. Creep E.

Especially because I'm flying tomorrow. I love flying, but I hate flying. I love flying because it's actually quite nice and it usually means you are going somewhere fun. I hate flying because I'm miles off the ground and in no control of the situation whatsoever. I've put my life in the hands of a complete stranger and hoping he's not a closet alcoholic.

But, had I finished that sentence, I would have said, today is my last day in my own house for 5 days. My new home will be here, the New York Helmsley Hotel. A block away from Grand Central Station and walking distance to just about everything: Times Square, Rockefeller Center, Central Park, etc.

I have completely planned out our trip over the next 5 days. I've got vouchers for popular attractions, I've determined what day and what time we will visit those attractions, I've familiarized myself with the city (thanks to bird's eye view on Bing maps) and looked at public transit routes to figure out the best way to get everywhere. If this isn't prepared, I don't know what is! But when you are a small town girl, you almost have to over prepare like this when going to a big city. Otherwise, I would not have had a clue what to do when we got there.

I'm bringing my camera and laptop so I will be able to [hopefully] post pictures daily. That is, if I'm not too exhausted by the time we are back at the hotel each evening. Our days will be so jam packed, we are going to be pretty exhausted, I have a feeling. But there is so much to see and do, and we wanted to get in as much as we could in the short time we will be there. I'm 36 and I've never been there, not sure how good the chances are that I'll get to go again. I know my husband wants to go so maybe at some point, we'll be able to go together.

Next time I blog, I will be in Manhattan!

No comments: