Friday, November 4, 2011

home improvement

Every now and then (ok, a lot), I find myself walking from room to room, taking note of things I want to change. There is a lot in this house which could use some sprucing up. It was built in the early nineties, and while it's a very nice house, it lacks that modern feel. From the ugly borders, to wallpaper and paint, to the outdated wood, tile and carpet. But, with a house this large, revamping everything would cost as much as buying a new house. So we have to start small, pick one area, and go from there.

Of course, we've been in this house over two years and the only real project we've tackled is to paint Eden's room. Something we had promised her we'd do as a consolation because they both wanted the room Hanna has. But that's it. All the other money we've put into the house has been for repairs. Not nearly as sexy as adding lovely new furniture and fixtures. Believe me, I would much rather have spent all the money we've spent on repairing both the fence and the fireplace THREE TIMES EACH, on beautification.

We talk about all the things we would like to do, one room at a time, but it never happens. So, I took matters into my own hands yesterday. I started with the foyer.



 Despite the looming holiday season and the fact that the engine light is on in my van, signaling to me that it's time to pour money into repairs, and the fact that I just went on a holiday shopping spree last weekend (which, incidentally, proved to be very successful seeing as how I bought almost all the kid's Christmas gifts already), I spent money on my foyer.

I started here because it's the smallest area that needed fixing up and it's the first thing people see when they enter the home. I have wanted a table & mirror or a bench seat for a LONG time now and I finally just bought one. It looks so much better than the crooked coat tree that once stood there. Even though Andreas loved that thing, it was time to go. Also, when Lizzy was a puppy, she chewed 3 of the 4 corners of my [new at the time] entry rug and every time I look at the frayed edges held together by duct tape, I think to myself that I should just go buy another one. Because it really does look dreadful.

So I did that too. Except the one I bought was a bit too small so I will take it back and get a bigger size. Also, I splurged on some new lamps for our bedside tables. Except they weren't really a splurge because they were really cheap. Walmart has cute lamps. I'm not ashamed to say it.

FYI - I got the table at Hobby Lobby, one of my very favorite stores. It's dangerous for me to set foot in this store without Andreas to rein me in.

Considering I stewed and fretted at 3 different stores trying to find the perfect combination of things that fulfilled the idea I had in my mind, I think it turned out well and I am very happy with my choices. Now, if I can just convince my husband that we really need to get rid of our front room sofa and replace it with two sophisticated leather sitting chairs.....

..but then we'd need a sophisticated desk to match.


No comments: