Friday, February 17, 2012

My favorite winter meal

Oven roasted winter vegetables & chicken thighs

You start by halving brussel sprouts, and chunking yams and beets into
bite size pieces.
(I will blanch my veggies for a couple minutes just because I like to)

Aren't those colors beautiful?!?!


Put them in a bowl and coat them with some olive oil.
Transfer them to a roasting pan lined with tin foil (and sprayed with olive oil)
and sprinkle a little salt and pepper over them.


Next you salt and pepper (generously) both sides of boneless chicken thighs
and get a good golden color on both sides in a hot pan.


Then you lay the chicken thighs on top of the vegetables


Pop the pan in the oven
375 degrees for 40 minutes
Depending on how you like your vegetables (and whether or not you blanch them first)
you may want to cook them longer. Mine are nice and tender at 40 minutes. Also, if
your oven is too hot, the brussel sprouts might burn. I think that blanching first
also helps with that. But I could be just blowing smoke, I'm no professional
cook or anything.


But the end result is a beautiful plate of healthy, hearty vegetables and succulent chicken.
It is truly a favorite in this house.



No comments: