Thursday, February 16, 2012

pan seared tilapia

There is one thing I would LOVE to learn how to do. Cook fish and make it taste good.

I struggle with this, I admit it. Probably because I don't practice enough. And I don't practice enough because every time I try to cook fish, it turns out horribly, no one likes it and we end up starving the rest of the night.

I think a lot of people tend to shy away from eating fish because they are afraid it will taste "fishy". I mean, it's fish, shouldn't it taste a little, teensy weensy bit fishy? NO! Fresh fish is not supposed to taste fishy. With the exception of canned tuna, but that's not exactly "fresh" is it.

Anyway, so in one of my favorite *blogs that I read every day, the writer gave an example of what she might eat in a day. And one of those things was pan seared tilapia.

"Pan seared tilapia.", I said to myself, as though this was a brilliant brand new invention. Why the hell have I never thought of that?

No no, we must bake or boil or broil everything. (oh, and grill in the summer)

Seriously, the pictures of her pan seared fish slapped me in the face with a fish. It looked so good! Except that she turned hers into soup, I was just interested in the fish part.

Side bar: Have you ever watched Veggie Tales? In the one that tells the story of Jonah, they make reference to bad people slapping other people with fish. Just thought I'd share that.

Not that I think she's a bad person who is slapping me in the face with fish. It was more like a "Hello McFly! You can actually cook fish and make it taste good! DUH!"

I was so inspired by this that on my way to the store to pick up strictly dog food (I say strictly because I've been grocery shopping a lot lately and also, Lizzy was completely out of food) I also stopped by the fresh fish counter and had them wrap me up a couple of tilapia fillets. Which is something I never do, convinced by my husband, the most knowledgeable man in the world, that fish is NOT fresh. But for a split second, I questioned whether or not he was, in fact, the most knowledgeable man in the world, and I decided that part of my horrible tasting fish problem might come from the fact that I ALWAYS buy frozen.....in a bag.....with 3 scrawny little fillets of fish. And they never taste good.

I came home with my prize, took out the trusty old iron pan and seared me up some tilapia. And it was GOOD! I mean reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally good!

"Hooray!" I shouted to no one in particular. Then I slipped on dog drool.

Lizzy thought my cooking was marvelous as well. She can't stop drooling over it. I let her have some. She's a big fan.

Here it is, searing away. (yes, I chunked it)


And here it is, getting ready to be digested.


You'll have to bear with me on the horrible food photography. I was so hungry I just wanted to snap a couple to prove that I actually successfully cooked fish and then get on with the eating of the fish.

YUM!

Now, I know that pan searing one type of fish and making it good (more like freakin' awesome!) does not qualify me as an Iron Chef or anything like that, but I feel confident that I can cook this, serve it to my family, and not be made to hear of their gastrointestinal distress later.

And, if you have any other EASY ways to cook other kinds of fish, I would kindly like to learn how to do that as well. Did I mention it had to be EASY? Not that I can't handle a difficult recipe from time to time but let's face it, I don't always want to pretend I'm Julia Child or have an ingredient list two pages long.

Simple fish. I should master this, and write a cookbook with that name... "Simple Fish".

*note: the blog in which I am referring to is Ready in 5 (weeks) and it is listed on the sidebar of my fitness blog under "fit blogs I love". 

No comments: