Friday, September 3, 2010

Food For Thought

How amazingly and incredibly hard would it be to be a vegetarian? Especially if you lived with carnivores. Like, you had to cook them bloody dripping steak everyday. How would you cope with that? I guess it would sorta depend on the reason you became a vegetarian in the first place.

What are the reasons anyway? Don't like to think of eating something that was grazing in the fields last week? Want to eat a low saturated fat diet for health? Everyone is doing it?

I could never be a vegetarian. It would just be too awkward at family get togethers. It's hard enough to attempt to say no to someones home made key lime pie, for instance, when you are trying to really limit your sugar intake. I am afraid to offend anyone so I just eat up. Plus, when I try to explain why I'm cutting the sugar, I get the whole "oh you could stand to gain a few pounds" speech. And it makes me uncomfortable.

Besides that though, I like the taste of meat. Boca burgers are good and I love vegetables but since I know how mouth watering a nice juicy medium-rare steak can be, I don't think I could say no to it the rest of my life. That would take an insane amount of willpower. I think we are born with a pre-determined allotment of willpower. Mine must be like 95% gone by now. I need to save what's left for when I'm tempted to eat something deep fried, smoothed in chocolate and 3000 calories.

No comments: