Friday, September 17, 2010

good 4 U recipe

I usually don't share so many recipes (2 in one week....whoa!). Only when I find one that I think is super tasty do I feel the need to share. And now and then I'll hit on something that I think is super tasty AND healthy, and so I think it's a crime NOT to share it.

I had some homemade bruschetta in the fridge from last night (totally one of my favorite things in the world to eat) and it was begging to be used. I also had a couple of fresh summer squash, bought at one of those fresh produce tents. And they were the most brilliant bright yellow that I have ever seen! I couldn't wait to use them.

So I sliced up one summer squash and sauteed it in a pan with a little olive oil and a little coconut oil. After they started to brown, I added the bruschetta and stirred that around for a bit, added a can of tuna and cooked until it was hot.

. . . . . POW! . . . . .



. . . . . YUM! . . . . .


Now, all of you who are sensitive to the really fishy taste that tuna has, you will be pleasantly surprised at this dish. I couldn't taste it at all! I wanted some protein so I just decided to try it and I was glad I did! I can imagine that if I used spaghetti squash next time, it would make a FABULOUS veggie "spaghetti" without the pasta (if you're watching carbs some days).

I think that because the bruschetta sat in the fridge overnight it really boosted the flavor. All of the wonder that makes bruschetta, (the onions, garlic, basil, tomatoes) became a synergistic explosion of flavor Italiano! It made me crave a glass of wine.

And for the curious, here's my bruschetta recipe:

1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
1/4 of a small red onion
4 garlic cloves, minced
LOTS of chopped fresh basil
drizzle of olive oil and a touch of balsamic vinegar (I don't like too much balsamic - gets too acidy)
(and you could add kalamata olives I suppose, but I didn't have any)

Unhealthy version: eat atop french baguette that has been sliced, doused in butter and pan fried to a delicious golden brown

Healthier: with baked pita chips

Healthiest: Sauteed with fresh cut veggies as above!

1 comment:

Chastity said...

yum Charlotte! Very cool!