Sunday, January 30, 2011

healthy chocolate cake in 5 minutes :)

I'm all about finding and trying out new healthy recipes or interesting ways to eat food we normally wouldn't eat.

KALE:
Not very exciting to eat raw. I'll nibble on it if I feel like I need to get some healthful food in my belly. But I found a very exciting way to eat kale and here's the kicker, the kids LOVE it too! Rip it up into small pieces, arrange them on a foil lined baking sheet, spray them with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Bake them at 375 degrees for 12 minutes (or until crispy). They are a great substitue for potato chips because they have that crisp saltiness. Sounds odd but honestly, they are fab.

GARBANZO BEANS (chick peas): I will put them in a salad sometimes but that's about it. Now, we roast them. Make a mix of olive oil and spices you like, toss in a can of rinsed and drained beans, and roast them at 400 degrees for 45-50 minutes. They turn out crunchy and delicious. We've been using salt, cinnamon, allspice and cumin in our mix of spices but you can literally use anything that blows your dress up.

AND NOW FOR THE REAL TREAT!
I'm almost afraid of sharing this recipe because it's that good. I could mass market this stuff and make millions, I swear. And I'm sharing it with you. How nice of me, right? I love chocolate cake but two things that suck about it are BIG TIME calories and time it takes to make. Well, I've solved these two problems.

A while back I received a recipe for a 3 minutes coffee cup cake made in a microwave. I've tweaked this recipe to make it healthy and it also cooks a lot better in my opinion. Because unless you are using giant sized coffee mugs, it always spills out of the coffee mug as it's cooking. Here's the recipe:

4 tbsp almond meal (just finely ground almonds - find it in the organic section of the grocery store or make your own)
2 tbsp steviva or truvia (all natural sugar substitute)
2 tbsp dark cocoa powder
MIX DRY INGREDIENTS TOGETHER IN A BOWL, ADD
2 egg whites or egg white powder mixed with water
3 tbsp almond milk (or regular milk but you'll get less calories and less sugar with almond milk)
3 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
a splash of almond or vanilla flavoring (I prefer almond in this recipe)
MIX UNTIL RESEMBLES CAKE BATTER. POUR BATTER INTO 2 COFFEE CUPS. MICROWAVE ONE CUP AT A TIME FOR 3 MINUTES.

And that's it! Tasty chocolate cake you can make whenever you feel like you HAVE to have something sweet and you won't have to feel guilty about eating it. No flour, no sugar, no butter!! And it tastes good. My husband even likes it and he is very sensitive to food substitutes (meaning he doesn't like anything made "healthier"). It's simply magic.

Your welcome.

No comments: